The Mary Elizabeth Garrett Room
The Mary Elizabeth Garrett room was created (as reported in the archives building slide show) in 1916 for the exclusive use of the women medical and graduate students and physicians of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Hospital. The room pictured here was located in a small building at the rear of the Billings Administration Building.The Women's Fund Committee provided the funds to establish and for some years later to renovate and/or refurnish the room. In 1944 the director of the hospital, Winford Smith wrote the dean of the medical school, Alan M. Chesney to suggest sharing the expense equally.
The Building which contained the original Mary Elizabeth Garrett Room was razed in 1960. The Garrett Room is now located in The Johns Hopkins Hospital in the Harvey/Nelson Tower Building. It consists of a lounge with attached locker room and rest rooms. The Johns Hopkins Women's Medical Alumnae Association (JHWMAA) Hall of Fame is also located in this room. The alumni association invites women medical students, graduate students and physicians to use the room frequently - to study, to relax, and to get acquainted with other women of the Johns Hopkins Medical community. The JHWMAA plans events there through the year.